Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Who loves you?

When my children were young, I often played a simple word game with them. I would just ask them "who loves you?" and they would tell me everyone they could think of who loved them. Occasionally I would remind them of someone they hadn't listed who loved them. We did this quite often. I didn't really think a whole lot about it. It was simply what we did.

In recent years, I have done the same thing with Jason. Again, we do it pretty often. One thing that struck me as I ask the question of J is how very many people truly love this boy. For all the bad things divorce brings (and trust me, I know as well as anyone about them), I realized that there was a positive thing that came from our varied family connections. Jason has an amazing amount of people who love him.

Disclaimer: It helps that all of the various parties have been together since he was born. He wasn't around for the tearing apart portion.

For him, there are multiple sets of grandparents and great grandparents, lots of aunts, uncles and cousins.

I wish every child had the safety net that comes from having so many people who love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment