Thursday, April 14, 2011

Indian Pow-Wow Fry Bread

Many, many years ago the kids and I attended the Indian Pow Wow in Tehachapi with my friend Bonnie and her children. We had a wonderful time, and Bonnie left determined to recreate the fry bread we had there. This recipe is the result of her experimentation. Bonnie and I later made fry bread for Tiana and Daniel's class at school (I'm thinking maybe second grade...but am not sure). I can still remember lugging the electric skillets and all of the ingredients into the school. Another crazy adventure that I would never have thought to attempt on my own, but with Bonnie anything was possible.

I no longer have a breadmaker, but know the recipe can easily be adapted. I will have to add those directions when I do.

INDIAN FRY BREAD

3 CUPS FLOUR
1 TBSP BAKING POWDER
½ TEASPOON SALT
¼ CUP MILK
1 CUP WARM WATER

Put flour, baking powder, salt and milk in breadmaker on dough setting. As it begins to mix continuously, add water, ¼ cup at a time. After dough is mixed, take out (it does not need to be kneaded a seocnd time).

Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.

Pull off egg-sized balls. Flatten on floured board (and between hands), then let rest.

Flatten again and let rest.

Should be 1/4 inch thick.

Fry on both sides. Will puff slightly.

Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar or with taco fixings (like at Indian Pow-Wow in Tehachapi).

No comments:

Post a Comment